• panorama04
  • dd
  • panorama01
  • Villa Fogazzaro
  • San Mamete
  • San Mamete
  • oria
  • albogasio
  • panorama05

Church of Our Lady of Assumption

 Chiesa della Madonna Assunta

 

 High Altar

Presbytery

Chapel of St. Charles

Chapel of Our Lady

Chapel of St. Anthony

Chapel of St.Eurosia

The Grave and Cupola

Sacresty and oratory  of St. Peter

Saints:
Eurosia
Caterina
Lucia

St.Rock

Our Lady of Assumption

 

Originally romanesque the Church of Our Lady of Assumption was totally restored in the 16th and 17th century. The single big nave which characterizes the interior, is particularly impressive if compared with the remaining body of the building. This is due to the huge majestic arches along the side walls. It is thought that they belong to an incompleted project of reconstruction attributed to Pellegrino Tibaldi , known as ” Pellegrini”.  Born in Puria in 1527, Pellegrini -besides being a painter- was a great architect at the service of Charles Borromeo archbishop of Milan. Philip II of Spain bestowed upon him the title of Marquis of Valsolda for the work he had done at the Escurial.
On eihter side of the organ, above the main doorway, two angels in simulated relief.
The cupola is decorated with an illusionistic perspective as was fashinable in the 18th century. .
Entering the church,
left side:
1    a votive painting dedicated to the Saints of the plague, Sebastian and Rock,  commissioned by Ottavio Callegari, who was a merchant in Venice.
2    chapel of St. Anthony the Abbot, a hermit Saint, healer of herpes zoster, an illness known as shingles. Next to him two important figures of local history:  St. Lucius, with a cheese in his hand, patron of mountain pastures; and St. Peter from Verona (13th century), great persecutor of heretics, represented in a painting in the very moment of his being killed by a  murderer hired by Stefano Confalonieri, Lord of Albogasio castle, who was a protector of the heretics.
2    Transept and chapel dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, Archbishop of Milan and Lord of Valsolda, on the occasion of his canonisation (1610): in the centre St. Charles praying before the Holy Nail, a relic in Milan Cathedral; on the left the attempt on St. Charles’ life by a friar belonging to an order hostile to the Archbishop: one can catch a glimpse of him aiming the gun, just behind the person in the foreground; on the right: Valsolda’s people pays homage to St. Charles; in the foreground Don Domenico Pozzo, parish priest of San Mamete and trainbearer to the Archbishop, with a showy handkerchief in his hand. These  scenes (in a very bad state of conservation), are surrounded by simulated  architectures.

Right side:
3    chapel of St:Eurosia, a Saint imported by the Spaniards who ruled in Lombardy during the 17th century. She was much venerated by the rural population for she interceded for fine weather or rain. Her attributes: crown, sceptre, hermine trimmings, denote her royal origin. Tradition has it that she was  beheaded by the Moors in Spain in the 7th century.
4    the men’s Confessional, reached via a small doorway from the transept.Here is a fresco of the Blessed Trinity, originally on the external southern wall which gave onto the graveyard. Now englobed in this small room, one fells the mightiness of the Father who bears on his knees the crucified Son. In the middle of the nave is the slab covering the presumed tomb of Pellegrini.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information