• panorama04
  • dd
  • panorama01
  • Villa Fogazzaro
  • San Mamete
  • San Mamete
  • oria
  • albogasio
  • panorama05

Church of Saints Mamete and Agapito

Chiesa di S. Mamete e Agapito

 High Altar

 Presbytery

 Chapels

 Saints:

 St. Mamete

 St. Agapito

 St. Peter from Verona

 entrata chiesa di San Mamete

From the top end of the square a wide flight of steps leads to the church square and from there continues, as a mule-track, to Loggio . Passing by the graveyard and climbing some sharp bends close by the gorge of the Soldo, it leads to the chapel of St. Charles Archbishop of Milan and Lord of Valsolda. This chapel was built in 1610 after his canonisation.
Close to the parish church is the nice stone bell tower culminating with a basket-like cone-shaped summit.
On the side wall of the church facing the lake are the arms of the bishops of Milan who came to Valsolda in pastoral visitation.
The interior is the result of reconstructions in 1637 and 1929. The high altar conceals from sight an ancient Madonna with Child and St Mamete, frescoed on the rear wall of the apse. On the presbitery walls are depicted scenes from the life of St. Mamete, a sheperd and hermit, protector of the flocks. His cult was widespread above all in Gaul and reached this side of the Alps in the Merovingian period (5th and 6th century). Above the pulpit, on the left, commemorative pictures of personages of the Dominican Order to which belonged St.Peter, persecutor of the heretics. The most important side altar (2nd on the left) is dedicated to him. Peter of Verona,who lived in the 13th century, made the persecution of the heretics the purpose of his life. In Valsolda, where the Cathari had found refuge, a Confraternity was founded in the name of the Saint, and this altar was donated by them. A Pietà is depicted with on one side the titular Saint being struck in his head and shoulder by the hired murderer; on the other side St. Dominique founder of the Order to which St. Peter belonged. The murder was commissioned by Stefano Confalonieri, Lord of Albogasio castle and protector of the Cathari.
On the way to Albogasio, right hand, after having passed the bridge on the Soldo, there is a beautiful 16th-17th century villa, called Villa Claudia, surrounded by a large park which includes a private chapel.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information